As a result, we are extending our test optional policy for first-year and transfer applicants for the next three admission cycles (that is, for applications due in the falls of 2023, 2024, and 2025). Students who opt to apply to Princeton without an ACT or SAT score will not be at a disadvantage in our process.
Standardized testing is only one element of our comprehensive and holistic application review. Princeton has no minimum test score requirement for admission; rather, all of the information in each student’s application is considered in context.
As with previous years, we do not require the submission of SAT Subject Tests. If you chose to sit for a Subject Test (prior to January/June 2021) and wish to submit the score, you may do so. Please note: The College Board eliminated SAT Subject Tests in January 2021 for domestic students and in June 2021 for international students.
For those who choose to submit testing, we allow applicants to use the score choice feature of the SAT and accept only the highest composite score of the ACT, but we encourage the submission of all test scores. When registering for the SAT or ACT, use the following codes to ensure your scores are sent to Princeton: SAT: 2672 and ACT: 2588.
Notes on additional testing:
- If you sat for an Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) test, we recommend that you self-report all of your AP or IB scores on your application. For those who do submit standardized test scores, you must submit your SAT and/or ACT scores to Princeton directly from the testing firms.
- If English is not your native language and you are attending a school where English is not the language of instruction, you must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System Academic (IELTS Academic) or the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic). We do not accept the Duolingo English Test.
- If you choose to submit testing, applicants should take the SAT or the ACT by the October test date for single-choice early action and the December date for regular decision.
- Students taking standardized tests in December or later should have their scores sent directly to Princeton.
- Transfer applicants who choose to sit for the test must complete all SAT testing by the March test date. All ACT testing must be completed by the February test date