Fees & Payment Options
The estimated cost of attendance for 2017-18 is $66,645 and includes:
- Tuition: $47,500
- Room charge: $8,860
- Board rate: $6,635
- Estimated miscellaneous expenses: $3,650
The room charge and board rate are standard for the University dormitories and meal plans. Estimated miscellaneous expenses include the residential college fee, activities fees, class dues and a one-time transcript fee. These items, totaling an estimated $1,050 of the $3,650 estimated for books and personal expenses, are billed by the University along with tuition, room and board. Financial aid credits are deducted from the University bill of $64,045 for those who qualify, leaving the remainder due as a family payment on either a semester or monthly basis.
This estimate does not include the cost of travel, which may range between $100 and $2,500. Students who are not covered by a family health insurance policy must purchase Student Health Plan coverage for $1,900. University charges are likely to increase modestly for 2018-19.
Princeton offers different methods for paying the University bill:
- One payment each semester: If you choose the semester plan, one-half of Princeton’s charges will be due in the fall and one-half in the spring. Any subsequent miscellaneous charges a student incurs (for example, charging books to the student account) are due in full during the semester the charge is made.
- Twelve monthly payments: The monthly payment plan allows your family to spread payments out over the year, from September through August. The interest charge for this option is 2.25 percent in 2016-17.
- Princeton Parent Loan (PPL): This loan gives families the opportunity to borrow their share of Princeton’s costs at either a variable or a fixed interest rate (currently expected to be approximately 2.3 percent variable and 4.99 percent fixed) that is adjusted before the start of each academic year. The PPL is available to families based on their credit history and ability to meet repayment terms. Further information about the PPL may be obtained from the Parent Loan Office.
- Direct PLUS Loan: PLUS is a federally sponsored direct loan to parents who may borrow up to the cost of attendance less financial aid received. The PLUS interest rate is fixed at 6.31 percent in 2016-17, and program fees of up to 4.27 percent may be charged.