Fees & Payment Options
The cost of attendance for 2021-22 is $77,690 and includes:
- Tuition: $56,010
- Room charge: $10,690
- Board rate: $7,490
- Estimated miscellaneous expenses: $3,500
The room charge and board rate are standard for the University dormitories and meal plans. Estimated miscellaneous expenses include the activities fee, class dues and a one-time transcript fee. These items, totaling an estimated $250 of the $3,500 estimated for books and personal expenses, are billed by the University along with tuition, room and board. Financial aid credits are deducted from the University bill of $74,440 for those who qualify, leaving the remainder due as a family payment on either a semester or monthly basis.
This estimate does not include the cost of travel, which may range between $300 and $5,000. Students who are not covered by a family health insurance policy must purchase Student Health Plan coverage; the plan's cost for the 2021-22 academic year is $2,780.
Princeton offers different methods for paying the University bill:
- One payment each semester: If you choose the semester plan, one-half of Princeton’s charges will be due in the fall and one-half in the spring. Any subsequent miscellaneous charges a student incurs (for example, charging books to the student account) are due in full during the semester the charge is made.
- Ten monthly payments: The monthly payment plan allows you to spread payments out over the academic year, from August through May. The enrollment fee for this option is $40 per semester.
- Princeton Parent Loan (PPL): This loan gives families the opportunity to borrow their share of Princeton’s costs at either a variable or a fixed interest rate (currently 1.60 percent variable and 3.99 percent fixed) that is adjusted before the start of each academic year. The PPL is available to families based on their credit history and ability to meet repayment terms. Further information about the PPL may be obtained from the Parent Loan Office.
- Direct PLUS Loan: PLUS is a federally sponsored direct loan to parents who may borrow up to the cost of attendance less financial aid received. The PLUS interest rate is fixed at 6.28 percent in 2021-22, and program fees of up to 4.228 percent may be charged.