Fees & Payment Options
The estimated* cost of attendance for 2019-20 is $73,450 and includes:
- Tuition: $51,870
- Room charge: $10,090
- Board rate: $7,060
- Residential college fee: $930
- Estimated miscellaneous expenses: $3,500
The room charge and board rate are standard for the University dormitories and meal plans. Estimated miscellaneous expenses include the activities fee, class dues and a one-time transcript fee. These items, totaling an estimated $235 of the $3,500 estimated for books and personal expenses, are billed by the University along with tuition, room, board and the residential college fee. Financial aid credits are deducted from the University bill of $70,185 for those who qualify, leaving the remainder due as a family payment on either a semester or monthly basis.
This estimate does not include the cost of travel, which may range between $100 and $2,500. Students who are not covered by a family health insurance policy must purchase Student Health Plan coverage for $1,800.
*Tuition and other costs will be formally set by the Trustees of Princeton University in mid-April.
Princeton offers different methods for paying the University bill:
- One payment each semester: If you choose the semester plan, one-half of Princeton’s charges will be due in the fall and one-half in the spring. Any subsequent miscellaneous charges a student incurs (for example, charging books to the student account) are due in full during the semester the charge is made.
- Twelve monthly payments: The monthly payment plan allows your family to spread payments out over the year, from September through August. The interest charge for this option is 3.5 percent in 2018-19.
- Princeton Parent Loan (PPL): This loan gives families the opportunity to borrow their share of Princeton’s costs at either a variable or a fixed interest rate (currently 3.9 percent variable and 4.99 percent fixed) that is adjusted before the start of each academic year. The PPL is available to families based on their credit history and ability to meet repayment terms. Further information about the PPL may be obtained from the Parent Loan Office.
- Direct PLUS Loan: PLUS is a federally sponsored direct loan to parents who may borrow up to the cost of attendance less financial aid received. The PLUS interest rate is fixed at 7.6 percent in 2018-19, and program fees of up to 4.27 percent may be charged.